Are you considering taking on an apprentice?
- 96% of employers who hire an apprentice report business benefits
- 72% of businesses report improved productivity as a result of employing an apprentice
- The average person who completes an apprenticeship increases productivity by £214 a week
This is great news for businesses particularly with the school year coming to end, now is the time when many young people will be looking to start their careers via apprentice schemes. But are businesses doing enough to protect their young workers? Unfortunately the Health and Safety Executive is reporting far too many cases of injury in the workplace involving young people. If you decide to hire an apprentice for your business make sure they are properly protected with these tips.
- You should bear in mind the level of risk your apprentices may be exposed to during the time they are working for you. It may even be necessary for you to carry out a separate risk assessment (eg for young or inexperienced workers), as you will owe them a greater duty of care than an experienced staff member, and they should be treated and protected accordingly
- Check your Employers Liability insurance covers your apprentices. Any organisation with employees is obliged under the Employers Liability (compulsory Insurance) Act 1969 to take out appropriate insurance cover. You are required by law to have employers’ liability insurance for people who you employ under a contract of service or apprenticeship.
- Ensure an effective training program is in place for your apprentices.
- There are specific regulations that require your premises and equipment to be in safe condition. This can be achieved by regular reviews of your health and safety processes.
If you are considering hiring an apprentice and would like to review your insurance arrangements why not get in touch with HETAS Insurance Services on 08455 085 734 to see how they can help you.
HETAS Insurance Services is a trading name of Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd and HETAS Ltd is an introducer appointed representative of Jelf Insurance Brokers Limited.
Jelf and Jelf Clarke Roxburgh are trading names of Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd. Jelf Insurance Brokers Ltd (Reg No. 0837227) is part of Jelf Group PLC (Reg No: 2975376) and is registered in England and Wales at Hillside Court, Bowling Hill, Chipping Sodbury, BS37