HETAS support cleaner and safer choices for the use of biomass and other solid fuels, appliances and associated technologies.
As a non-profit organisation, we pride ourselves on investing surplus funds into business areas that directly contribute to safely reducing particulate and carbon emissions for the benefit of the people and the environment.
Achieved by working with government, industry experts and innovators providing expert advice, training and clear evidence-based information.
We will mobilise change to increase the use of cleaner fuels and more efficient appliances to improve air quality and public health, utilising our role as a trusted expert advisor to government to help improve associated legislation.
We will set the benchmark for best practice in our industry through the provision of the competent person scheme and industry-leading training to increase the safe and environmentally responsible use of biomass and other solid fuels, appliances, and associated technologies.
- INSTALLER REGISTRATION – Registered installers are trained and approved to UKAS standards and can self certify that their work complies with the relevant building regulations (via our Competent Person Scheme). They have access to free Technical Handbooks, advice and updates, competitively priced insurance, equipment, and Prompt Payer membership.
- TRAINING – HETAS is the leading training provider for solid fuel, wood, and biomass, offering comprehensive courses specifically designed for installers, chimney sweeps, retailers, specifiers, Local Authorities, Building Control Officers, and those involved in the wood fuel supply chain. Training is a pre-cursor to Competent Person Scheme registration.
- PRODUCT APPROVAL – HETAS operates a third party scheme for approval of solid fuel and biomass appliances. The HETAS Guide is published annually and provides installers and specifiers with a useful list of approved appliances, chimneys, and associated equipment.
- MICROGENERATION CERTIFICATION SCHEME – The government approved Microgeneration Scheme (MCS) is designed to build consumer confidence in the growing renewable sector. HETAS offers both MCS installer and MCS appliance schemes covering biomass and solar thermal technologies.
- APPROVED RETAILERS – The HETAS approved retailer scheme provides kudos for stove shops and showrooms and aims to increase safety whilst promoting the reputation of good quality retailers. Approved Retailers are listed on the HETAS website.
- QUALITY ASSURED FUEL – The Woodsure scheme provides a recognised quality standard for wood and biomass fuel quality. With categories for logs, briquettes, woodchips, and pellets, the scheme provides consumers with confidence in fuel quality and sustainability.
- APPROVED CHIMNEY SWEEPS – Sweeps who are members of the Association of Professional and Independent Chimney Sweeps (APICS), Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps, National Association of Chimney Sweeps (NACS) and Sweep Safe and become HETAS Approved Chimney Sweeps are listed on the website search.
- APPROVED SERVICING – The growth of the renewable energy sector has meant increasing demand for biomass, wood, and solid fuel installations, with more and more consumers insisting on HETAS approved technicians.HETAS has developed the Approved Servicing scheme to target the needs of service businesses.