The Association of Professional Independent Chimney Sweeps
The Association of Professional Independent Chimney Sweeps (APICS) was formed in 2002. APICS recognises that chimney sweeps are independent and should be allowed to get on with their daily work without interference.
To update the knowledge concerning rules, regulations, techniques and equipment. APICS has a Continued Professional Development scheme (CPD) which applies to all members.
APICS has a number of objectives as an organisation, including:
- To ensure the competence of its members as chimney sweeps.
- To raise the standards of the profession, and to move the industry forward.
- To raise the profile and professionalism of sweeps among customers.
- To update the knowledge of sweeps concerning relevant legislation and regulations, (e.g. health & safety, British and European standards, Building Regulations etc.)
- To update the knowledge of sweeps concerning techniques and equipment.
- To promote APICS to the public and other professional bodies.
- To educate the public about regular sweeping by an experienced and qualified sweep, the dangers of Carbon Monoxide and the risks concerning chimney fires.