Become an Approved Chimney Sweep
A good chimney is essential to the continuing efficient and safe operation of all solid fuel burning heating and cooking appliances. HETAS recommends that chimney sweeping is best carried out by a HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep. HETAS offer the H003 training course or the H009 training course, and attending one these courses is a pre-requisite towards registration, but not the only criteria. If you wish to become a HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep you must apply to us as a registered member of one of our Recognised Associations, Organisations or through the Direct Entrant route.
Chimney Sweep Associations & Organisations
- Association of Professional and Independent Chimney Sweeps (APICS)
- Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps
- National Association of Chimney Sweeps (NACS)
- Sweep Safe
This new route to joining HETAS as an Approved Chimney Sweep is now available for those who are not with a Recognised Association or Organisation. Within this there are a number of routes for experienced chimney sweeps to follow. These include:
- Dual Registration – for those sweeps who already hold an installer or servicing registration with HETAS.
- NVQ2 Direct – for chimney sweeps who hold the NVQ2 in chimney sweeping (must be completed within the last 12 months).
- Scheme Transfer Route – must be an existing HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep with a Recognised Association/Organisation.
- Standard Direct Entrant Route – for chimney sweeps who do not meet any of the above criteria but can demonstrate appropriate experience with a balance of experience, training courses and training on site by an experienced sweep.
To register as a chimney sweep with HETAS, we would require a completed application form which can be downloaded by clicking here. The benefits of registration with HETAS as an Approved Chimney Sweep include:
- A listing in the Find Chimney Sweep search on the website.
- A listing in the HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep Directory.
- A free copy of the annual HETAS Guide.
- Access to the HETAS Shop – a range of equipment, branded clothing, promotional material and advice leaflets.
- Use of the HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep logo.
- A monthly industry e-newsletter.
- An industry dedicated insurance.
- Regular in depth Technical Bulletins.
- Access to the HETAS Technical Helpline.
- Access to the online Techincal Area.
Consumers can find their nearest HETAS Chimney Sweep by using the search facility at the top of the page or by clicking here.