Become an Approved Chimney Sweep
A good chimney is essential to the continuing efficient and safe operation of all solid fuel burning heating and cooking appliances. HETAS recommends that chimney sweeping is best carried out by a HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep. HETAS offer the H003 training course or the H009 training course, and attending one these courses is a pre-requisite towards registration, but not the only criteria. If you wish to become a HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep you must apply to us as a registered member of one of our Recognised Associations, Organisations or through the Direct Entrant route.
This new route to joining HETAS as an Approved Chimney Sweep is now available for those who are not with a Recognised Association or Organisation. Within this there are a number of routes for experienced chimney sweeps to follow. These include:
- Dual Registration – for those sweeps who already hold an installer or servicing registration with HETAS.
- NVQ2 Direct – for chimney sweeps who hold the NVQ2 in chimney sweeping (must be completed within the last 12 months).
- Scheme Transfer Route – must be an existing HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep with a Recognised Association/Organisation.
- Standard Direct Entrant Route – for chimney sweeps who do not meet any of the above criteria but can demonstrate appropriate experience with a balance of experience, training courses and training on site by an experienced sweep.
Chimney Sweep Associations & Organisations
- Association of Professional and Independent Chimney Sweeps (APICS)
- Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps
- National Association of Chimney Sweeps (NACS)
- Sweep Safe
To register as a chimney sweep with HETAS, we would require a completed application form which can be found on this page. The benefits of registration with HETAS as an Approved Chimney Sweep include:
- A listing in the Find Chimney Sweep search on the website.
- A free copy of the annual HETAS Guide.
- Access to the HETAS Shop – a range of equipment, branded clothing, promotional material and advice leaflets.
- Use of the HETAS Approved Chimney Sweep logo.
- A monthly industry e-newsletter.
- An industry dedicated insurance.
- Regular in depth Technical Bulletins.
- Access to the HETAS Technical Helpline.
- Access to the online Techincal Area.
Consumers can find their nearest HETAS Chimney Sweep by using the search facility at the top of the page or by clicking here.